I am not one to shy away from reading and in fact, it is my escapism from a very busy life. My guilty pleasure is an early morning read before the house is awake. It is my way to decompress before a busy day.
To say that I have an eclectic taste is to put it mildly. From a Penguin Classic to a top seller on todays bestseller list...I will read them all.
Here are my TOP 5 romantic and not so romantic reads/
1. Pride and Prejudice...but of course! Following the love life of Miss Elizabeth Bennett. Wanting to meddle in everyone else's love life and the quintessential matchmaker. Does she get her happy ending...? That's where Mr Darcy steps in.
Image from Wikipedia
2. Miss Austen by Gill Hornby. A book I read earlier this year based on Jane's sister Cassandra about Jane herself, who never found love, just wrote about it.
3. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. Where have you been if you haven't read or even heard of this book? Lockdowns answer to the perfect escapism following Kya Clark, a misunderstood girl just needing to be loved.
4. Hotel du Lac by Anita Brooker. A romantic novelist named Edith seeks refuge in a beautiful building where perhaps she herself will find love with Mr Neville. A Penguin classic of its time.
5. Confessions of a forty-something f##k up by Alexandra Potter. Not a romantic novel as such but oh such a funny read about a woman. You don't have to be forty to relate to this. Doing it on your own...who needs a partner??!!